Monthly Feedback May/June 2015
Good Day All
Attached below is the feedback for May & June.
The Harold Cressy High School Multi-Purpose Hall Project, Phase 1.
- Project progress: Completion of the roof in May marked a significant moment in the project. The execution of all the other outstanding construction items since then has resulted in the completion of Phase 1.
- The HCAA would again like to thank all members of the Cressy community and other benefactors who contributed in any way to the progress and completion of Phase 1. Special gratitude is extended to the project professional team whose contribution has been substantial. The rand value of their pro bono and massively discounted services for Phase 1 is estimated to be at least R500 000.
- An event to celebrate the completion of Phase 1 was held in the new hall on 13 June. The event served the dual purpose of launching Phase 2 and amongst those attending, were former principals, Dr Victor Ritchie and Mr. Lionel Adriaan, Professor Crain Soudien (Vice Chancellor – UCT) as well as ex-student and structural engineer on the project, Mr Badroodien (Buddy) Sydow who was given the honour of cutting the ribbon to officially open the new hall. An overview of the project was presented and an insight was given into the way forward with regard to Phase 2.
The way forward for Phase 2 (Ancillary structures)
- The ancillary structures include the foyer spaces, kitchen, ablution block, projector room, overflow space & store room.
- Construction of the ancillary structures has been divided into three sections: The substructure, superstructure and the “finishes”
- We are pleased to report that the substructure (foundations and floor slab) for the ancillary spaces has already been completed as part of Phase 1.
- The projected cost of the superstructure is about R1.4million and this is the school’s next fundraising target.
- The Harold Cressy Wall of Honour Plaque Project has generated tremendous interest in the Cressy community and has been the most successful fundraising tool for the hall project. As a result, more than R800 000 000 has flowed into the Cressy Hall Fund over the last 9 months enabling the HCAA to achieve its target of R1 million for the final Phase 1 payment. Wall of Honour participants now have the opportunity and are kindly requested to support Phase 2 by upgrading their existing plaques if this is at all possible.
Your assistance is now urgently required with referrals to your Cressy contacts and friends. This will enable the HCAA to reach out to the many hundreds and possibly even thousands of ex-students and other benefactors who could help make this dream of a fully completed multi-purpose hall become a reality in the foreseeable future.
- Other events and activities. A Harold Cressy “Golf Day”, the usual December Rafiek Mammon extravaganza at Artscape and the possibility of a Harold Cressy High School 65th Anniversary reunion is under discussion – please watch this space for more details.
- The Multi-Purpose Hall Project is a huge undertaking, with a project budget of R13m. We are pleased to report that the project value is now approaching R8 million and the 2015 valedictory and the annual awards ceremony will for the first time ever take place inside a decent and adequate space at Harold Cressy High School.
View of the stage from the back of the hall
View of the hall from the stage
View from school embankment showing the slab laid for the foyers as per Phase 2
As always, we remind ourselves of our school motto and proudly declare:
“Volenti Nihil Difficile” – To those who are willing, nothing is too difficult.
Our banking details are:
- Harold Cressy Alumni Association
- Nedbank Savings Account
- Account No: 2025483953
- Branch: Parow
- Branch Code: 102510
- Reference: Your name (WOH)
Please let me know when payment is done.
Once again thank you for your enthusiastic participation in this exciting initiative.